Sticking Doors and Windows
Finding it challenging to open and close the doors and windows in your house? This is more than a minor inconvenience—it could be an early warning sign of more significant foundation problems. Alongside other indicators like uneven floors, sticking doors and windows can signify foundational shifts or settlement issues.
Innovative Basement Authority has been a trusted foundation repair specialist for nearly 20 years, assisting homeowners in restoring their homes and mitigating risks of structural failure. If you’re dealing with sticking doors and windows, reach out to us today!
What Are Sticking Doors and Windows?
Sticking doors and windows are typically hard to move, requiring extra force to open or shut. Often, they might not even close completely, or they jam partway.
When your doors don’t align seamlessly with their frames, or when you notice cracking in the drywall around your windows and doors, it’s a major warning sign that your home’s structure is compromised. Issues like foundation settling and failing crawl space supports are frequent culprits. Neglecting these signs can escalate into more critical damage to your home.
What Causes Sticking Doors and Windows?
Sticking doors and windows are usually the result of one or more of the following issues:
- Foundation Settlement – An unevenly settling foundation can warp floors and shift walls, causing doors and windows to jam within their frames.
- Degraded Crawl Space Supports – Whether due to moisture damage, wood rot, or over-spanning, weak crawl space supports can result in sagging floors and misaligned walls, which lead to sticking doors and windows.
- Moisture Intrusion – Water seepage into window and door frames can cause the wood to swell and warp, adding to the problem of sticking.
Inadequate soil compaction, poor drainage systems, and shifts in the ground underneath your property can all contribute to foundation irregularities that cause doors and windows to stick.
Can You Fix Sticking Doors and Windows?
Absolutely! Fixing sticking doors and windows is not only possible but highly recommended. Ignoring the issue can result in escalating problems that may be significantly more costly to repair in the long run. The key to a lasting solution is to address the underlying structural issues causing the sticking, rather than treating only the symptoms.
When you choose to work with experienced professionals in foundation repair, several methods can be used to effectively solve the problem. These methods aim to target the root cause, whether it be foundation settlement, weakened crawl space supports, or moisture intrusion, so that the sticking issues do not recur.
How Innovative Basement Authority Fixes Sticking Doors and Windows
- We employ foundation piers to solidify shifting foundations and potentially lift them back into place.
- We introduce crawl space jacks to address sagging floors and realign walls.
- We enhance foundation water management through sump pumps and alternative solutions to mitigate moisture-related issues and wood rot.
Our specialized products, like our IntelliJack™ crawl space jacks and SettleStop™ helical piers, have been used in thousands of homes across the area to permanently resolve the issues causing your sticking doors and windows.
Why Address Sticking Doors and Windows Issues Now?
Ignoring the problem can have several consequences:
- Unresolved foundation issues will continue to deteriorate.
- Jamming can damage window and door frames further.
- Unattended foundation problems can result in severe structural issues.
- Delaying repairs or temporarily covering up the issue will significantly increase future costs.
- Trust Innovative Basement Authority’s comprehensive foundation repair solutions to safeguard your home and eliminate sticking issues permanently.
Contact Innovative Basement Authority for Solutions to Sticking Doors and Windows
If you’re experiencing sticking doors and windows, let Innovative Basement Authority evaluate your foundation and offer tailored solutions.
Our team of experts will provide enduring remedies to stop your doors and windows from jamming.
Contact us today for a free, no-obligation estimate!
You might also observe wall and ceiling cracks, floor irregularities, and external brick fissures as symptoms of foundation issues.
While elevated humidity can cause some minor sticking, persistent and severe sticking is usually a sign of structural problems.
We advise against attempting DIY foundation repairs. From our extensive experience, DIY efforts often exacerbate underlying issues rather than resolve them. Even if sticking doors and windows appear to be a simple fix, identifying and treating the root cause necessitates professional expertise and solutions.