Sinking Concrete Steps
As a homeowner, the stability of your steps is vital for safe access to your home. Sinking concrete steps not only impacts your home’s appearance but also creates significant safety concerns, including trip hazards.
Innovative Basement Authority is your trusted partner in resolving these issues, offering advanced solutions that prioritize both safety and the aesthetic appeal of your home. Our cutting-edge concrete lifting techniques are designed to restore your home’s integrity and curb appeal.
This page provides valuable insights into why concrete steps sink and how Innovative Basement Authority’s specialized solutions effectively address these problems.
What Are Sinking Concrete Steps?
Sinking concrete steps are visible sinking or shifts in concrete stairs, resulting in uneven surfaces and structural weaknesses. These issues not only compromise safety but also hint at underlying problems, such as shifting soil, which require immediate professional attention.
You may also notice similar concrete issues in other parts of your property, including:
- Cracked concrete
- Sinking porch
- Cracked concrete patio
- Cracked sidewalks
- Cracked driveway
- Cracked pool deck
- Concrete pitting, flaking, and staining
Neglecting sunken steps not only increases the risk of trips but can also lead to complete step failure over time. It’s essential to act quickly and seek professional solutions from Innovative Basement Authority.
What Causes Sinking Concrete Steps?
Several factors contribute to sinking concrete steps, including:
- Soil Settlement: Compacting, shifting, or sinking soil beneath your stairs can lead to settling and cracking of the concrete, especially in expansive soils with high clay content.
- Soil Erosion: Water flowing under or against the stairs can erode and wash away the supporting soil, compromising concrete integrity.
- Tree Roots: Growing tree roots can disrupt underlying soil and exert upward pressure, potentially lifting and cracking the concrete.
- Excessive Moisture: Persistent moisture exposure, such as heavy rain, flooding, and snowmelt, can soften the soil under the stairs and contribute to erosion.
- Freeze-Thaw Cycles: Water entering existing cracks that freeze and thaw can expand these cracks over time.
- Poor Concrete Workmanship: Low-quality concrete or inadequate curing processes can make concrete more susceptible to cracking and sinking.
These factors can also pose a threat to your home’s foundation. This emphasizes the importance of seeking comprehensive solutions from experts like Innovative Basement Authority.
Can You Fix Sinking Concrete Steps?
Yes, repairing sinking steps is possible, but DIY fixes rarely provide long-term solutions. Techniques like mudjacking can be messy and outdated, often failing to address the root problem.
A comprehensive approach is key. Addressing both visible damage and underlying issues ensures a lasting solution.
Innovative Basement Authority’s concrete lifting process involves injecting high-density polyurethane foam beneath the concrete to lift and level sunken steps. The foam expands rapidly and sets within 15 minutes, ensuring a stable lift.
In rare cases, additional specialized foundation repairs, like foundation piers, might be required.
How to Fix Sinking Concrete Steps
At Innovative Basement Authority, our advanced technique, SettleStop™ PolyRenewal™, is used to expertly repair sinking concrete steps.
Our detailed process includes:
- Assessment: We conduct a comprehensive inspection to assess the extent of the damage, identify root causes, and formulate a repair plan.
- Drill Holes: Small holes, approximately the size of a penny, are created in the affected concrete.
- Position Ports: Injection ports are carefully placed into these holes in preparation for the next steps.
- Mix Foam: We meticulously blend our specialized two-part polyurethane foam.
- Inject Foam: High-density foam is injected underneath the affected concrete.
- Lift Steps: The foam fills voids between the concrete steps and the soil, gently raising sunken sections as it cures.
- Fill Holes: Once the steps are stable, we fill the drilled holes to achieve a smooth, finished appearance.
- Fill Cracks: We also address any existing cracks, effectively repairing them to prevent future damage.
- Maintain Safety: We offer service and maintenance programs to ensure stability and longevity.
Our proprietary concrete lifting foam is precisely engineered for your home’s unique conditions. Unlike DIY solutions, PolyRenewal™ provides a lasting remedy for safely elevating and securing sinking concrete stairs.
Why Address Sinking Concrete Steps Now
Promptly addressing sinking concrete steps is crucial for several reasons:
- Prevent Further Damage: Delaying repairs allows water to infiltrate and widen existing cracks. Taking swift action helps stop the progression of issues.
- Avoid Foundation Problems: Settling soil beneath your steps often signals potential foundation instability, necessitating immediate attention.
- Ensure Safety: Sunken and uneven stairs pose a significant risk of trips and injuries. Concrete lifting eliminates tripping hazards and resolves structural instabilities, enhancing safety.
- Preserve Property Value: Sinking, cracked stairs detract from your home’s visual and curb appeal. Reliable repairs maintain and enhance both the aesthetic and structural value of your property.
- Long-Term Solution: Our concrete lifting repairs come with comprehensive warranties, providing peace of mind. Taking action now can save you from more costly repairs down the road.
Stay ahead by allowing Innovative Basement Authority to examine and mend your sinking steps. Our specialized PolyRenewal™ service promises a secure, trustworthy, and enduring solution.
Contact Innovative Basement Authority for Reliable Concrete Lifting Solutions
Restore your home’s aesthetics and safety by leveling your steps with help from Innovative Basement Authority’s concrete lifting services.
For industry-leading service and unmatched outcomes, contact us today for a free, no-commitment inspection, and say goodbye to sinking concrete steps.
With nearly 20 years of experience in restoring structures like sinking steps, homeowners throughout the region trust us for our exceptional customer service, meticulous attention to detail, and dependable repair strategies.
To prevent sinking exterior steps, ensure proper ground preparation with compacted and graded soil. Regularly inspect your steps for early signs of settling or damage. Maintain good drainage and slope the surrounding area away from your home’s foundation to prevent water-related settling issues.
Weather-related factors like freeze-thaw cycles and heavy rainfall can contribute to sinking exterior steps. To protect them, ensure proper drainage and conduct regular maintenance to address weather-induced damage.
The repair duration for sinking exterior steps varies based on the extent of damage, but most repairs take about a day. The exclusive product cures within 15 minutes, so you and your family can return to your daily life as soon as possible.
Last Modified Date: